FlySight is not your mother's GPS. FlySight was designed by Bionic Avionics Inc. from the ground up for wingsuit and canopy pilots and does one truly revolutionary thing:
FlySight provides real-time audible indication of glide ratio, horizontal or vertical speed.
If you've used other GPS receivers, you know the drill. When you land, you review data from the jump. If you're lucky, or if you've planned a very simple jump, you might remember what you were doing when your glide ratio maxed out. On the next jump, you try to do it again.
FlySight speeds the learning process.
When you change your body position, you instantly hear a change in the tone. Your brain easily connects this feedback with your precise body position, making it astonishingly easy to remember what worked and what didn't.
FlySight handles the dynamics of freefall exceptionally well. FlySight can be turned on a few minutes before exit, and begins providing audible feedback immediately after exit.
"I highly recommend the FlySight," says Jeff Nebelkopf, Chief Wingsuit Test Pilot for Tony Suits. "It is a great training tool and logs 5 points per second. Like any GPS there is about a 1 second lag time. Once you do a few jumps with it your glide ratio or speed should improve."
It's also proven be a great tool for canopy swoopers.
“The 5Hz sample rate, accuracy, and small size have made the FlySight an effective tool for swoop training," says competitive canopy pilot Dan Raymond. "I use it to track key performance metrics and to generate a detailed 3D view of the entire swoop.”
Note: The FlySight Audible GPS can only be heard with a pair of stereo headphones (not included).
- The FlySight Viewer is a simple utility which produces plots of your logged jumps. Data can be imported from FlySight CSV or NMEA files produced by most GPS receivers.
Plots can include one or two parameters on the vertical axis, including:
- Glide ratio
- Horizontal speed
- Vertical speed
The horizontal axis may be either time or distance. This allows the user to measure how much forward movement is achieved in a given vertical drop.
Finally, the Flysight Viewer can export data as FlySight CSV or NMEA files, or as KML files which can be loaded into Google Earth.
Download requires Mac OS 10.5
Tom van Dijck's FlySight Viewer for Windows adds a Google Maps view and basic logging functionality:
Download requires Windows XP, Vista, or 7
- If you are looking for a more full-featured package, we strongly recommend Paralog, which is available separately through paralog.net
- Data from FlySight can be imported into Paralog, where it becomes part of a comprehensive logbook, including jump details, photos, video, and more.
- As well as producing 2D plots from logged data, Paralog can also produce 3D jump profiles, as shown in the screenshot to the right.
FlySight Audible GPS Features:
- u-blox 6 chipset
- 5 Hz update and logging
- Real-time audible feedback
- 2.5 m (autonomous)
- 2.0 m (SBAS)
- 512 MB microSD card included
- One million seconds of logged data at 5 Hz
- Data and configuration accessed via USB flash drive
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Charging time: 1.5 hours
- Operating time: 2.5 to 3.5 hours
- 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack
- Requires a pair of stereo earphones (not included)
- FlySight GPS receiver
- 512 MB microSD card installed
- Mini USB data/charging cable
ALL NEW for 2016! The STELLA™ does what no other analog altimeter has done. LB Altimeters has taken the accuracy and user experience of the ALTITRACK™, the versatility of the VISO II+™ mounting system and combined them into STELLA™... all at a price-point that is friendly to an entry level student skydiver all the way to a seasoned veteran of the sky.
STELLA™ gives every skydiver digital accuracy with an analog face (ft or M), using LB Altimeters’ world renowned research, development and engineering, a small, accurate and versatile altimeter for any discipline. STELLA™ is far more accurate than any traditional mechanical altimeter, STELLA™ is the “must have” altimeter.
LB Altimeters allows the jumper to customize the STELLA™ to your individual style with different sized STELLA™ Elastic Wrist Mounts in a wide variety of colors (similar to VISO II+™). Slip your STELLA™ into the secure, flexible mount and you’re ready to jump!
- Electronic altimeter with analog scale.
- Smooth, none erratic pointer movement.
- Shock resistant and water resistant.
- Face positioned with 45 deg. offset scale for easy line-of-sight viewing when mounted on the hand/wrist.
- Asymmetric scale graduation in either feet or meters.
- Electroluminescent back light for night jumping. Can remain on for several hours.
- Automatic calibration to local elevation.
- Scratch proof lens made from high-impact etched glass.
- Component mounting system: Wrist or Hand mount.
- Pointer Playback of last jump.
- Offset adjustments for different take-off & landing elevations.
- Comes with Velcro hand mount & NEW LB Altimeter Tool. Elastic Wrist mount sold separately.